cut above the rest

Monday, March 06, 2006

driving in India

I believe, if I achieve expertise in driving in India, I can do anything under the sun.
Maaaan is it tough?? We have everything on the road --- from ants to dogs, cats, cows, donkeys, all kinds of vehicles, bicycles, haphazard pedestrians and some times if ill-luck wld have it, even elephants.
The other day while driving on the highway I went over something that looked like a rope, and a little later I cautiously asked my husband about it and he said that it was a dead snake.
The divider that is used to divide the lanes on the National Highways ( especially the beautiful and noteworthy Golden Quadrilateral) , is used by villagers to dry their clothes. U will not even believe what I write. One day I will capture a picture and show u the truth of it.

Am I ashamed of my country---- definitely NO. But it is a source of ire at times, especially when I am at the wheel.
The traffic is so ridiculous, and the people so inconsiderate even to cars that have a L-Board on them ( indicating that the driver is a learner) that it turns saints into beasts. The poor Saint that my husband normally is goes crazy and wild when I drive.

Of course there r reasons other than just traffic. His sense of judgement and my sense of judgement differ largely.
He is too slow for me and I, a little too fast for him.
And any day, a man believes that a woman cannot drive good enough; and especially so if he has years of experience and the poor woman ( that being me) is learning only now or atleast practising only now, the result can be left to anybody's imagination.
The irony is that I know to drive ( or so I believe, much to the chagrin of my dear); and practice is all I need.

And mind u, there r people of a particular kind in the same country----- who seem to be oblivious of the existence of modes of transportation other than cars and that too self-driven cars ------ MY MY!!!!

4 Comments:

  • India is a blend of ultra-modern and traditional stuff. You have high rise buildings, software parks and super-highways on the one side while on the other side dusty roads, cows etc (all that you have posted). Life must be really crazy in your country but fascinating too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 AM  

  • Thanks for the comment. I know that Israel is very different.
    But this is India for u sir.

    By Blogger rowdyrascal, at 8:14 AM  

  • true a learning driver's nightmare.. I know that too.. I am still learning.. altho its been a year since I got my driver's license.. :) and Chennai roads dont ask!!!.. As u say u can find almost ecerything on these roads..

    By Blogger Vidya, at 10:35 PM  

  • Right Vidya.Welcome to the blog.

    By Blogger rowdyrascal, at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home